5 Day Garden Route Tour
The ultimate Garden Route and Eastern Cape experience. Spot abundant wildlife by exploring three national parks along the south eastern coast – including Tsitsikamma -, Wilderness- and Addo National Park; surf the famous waves of J’bay, have close encounters with ostriches, cheetah, elephants and other African animals – even walking with lions!
Set your sense of adventure free and get your adrenaline pumping by taking part in a selection of exhilarating adventure activities, like Bungy jumping & Waterfall Ziplining in paradise.
Price: from R 4500 per person
Departs: most MONDAYS from selected Cape Town and Stellenbosch areas
Click on this button to check availability and book this tour online per credit card
Day 1: CAPE TOWN to OUDTSHOORN
- ROUTE 62 – Along South Africa’s famous country road you’ll capture the beauty of high mountains, twisting passes, rugged Karoo plains, vineyards and orchards. We will also stop for a drink at a famous country pub.
- OSTRICH FARM VISIT – We tour an ostrich farm, where the more daring among us can ride the ostriches (within weight limits). The rest of us get to stand on their eggs and make sure your friends take a picture of you hugging and kissing the world’s most friendly female ostrich, Betsie.
- CANGO WILDLIFE RANCH – A sanctuary to some of the world’s most endangered animals and contribute to conservation of over 60 species. Get the opportunity to personal ‘Animal Encounters’ – touch cheetahs, hug Bengal tiger cubs, wrap yourself in a python and even dive with Nile crocodiles! (all optional activities – with extra costs)
- OVERNIGHT IN OUDTSHOORN
Day 2: OUDTSHOORN to JEFFREYS BAY
- CANGO CAVES – These caves are an illuminated wonderland of subterranean magic and mystery, with passageways and chambers meandering far below. The tour will explore the narrow passages and vast halls filled with colorful ancient stalactites.
- ELEPHANT EXPERIENCE – (Optional with extra cost) Fall in love with these giant and lovable creatures. Learn about the elephants’ background, behaviour and character as you touch, feed, walk hand-in-trunk and even ride on it’s back.
- TSITSIKAMMA NATIONAL PARK – Spend time in paradise as we explore the marine reserve with its unique combination of dramatic coastal and forest landscape.
- OVERNIGHT IN STORMS RIVER
Day 3: JEFFREYS BAY to TSITSIKAMMA AREA
- 3 hour DRIVE in ADDO NATIONAL PARK (in tour bus) - the third largest national park in South Africa, a world of diversity; varied landscapes, fauna and flora. The original elephant section of the park was proclaimed to provide a safe haven for the few wild elephants who survived government-sponsored culling to remove them in the early 20th century. The lush vegetation provides protection and a rich food source supporting (what is currently) the most dense population of wild elephants on the planet. Today this finely tuned ecosystem is sanctuary to over 600 elephants, lions, buffalo, black rhino, spotted hyena, a variety of antelope and zebra and other species.
- extra 2 hour GAME DRIVE in 4×4 vehicle with ranger in Addo National Park. (Optional with extra cost).
- BEACH TIME & SHOPPING in J’BAY – Go for an early morning surf or just chill out. The backpackers hire out surf boards and wetsuits at extra cost. We will stop at the the surf factory shops for excellent deals on branded clothing.
- OVERNIGHT IN TSIITSIKAMMA AREA / STORMS RIVER
Day 4: TSITSIKAMMA AREA to WILDERNESS AREA
- WATERFALL ZIPLINE – The eight slides, of which the longest is 211m, zigzag along cables across the river gorge, as high as 50m above the water in some places. (Optional with extra cost). If you don’t want to do the zipline experience, then you can go for a walk in the forest.
- BLOUKRANS BUNGY JUMP – Face your fear and jump from the world’s highest bungy jump or watch the adrenaline junkies as they scream through the air. (Optional with extra cost).
- KNYSNA – Nestled between forested mountains, sea and curving around a big lagoon, we visit THE HEADS- where the sea crashes through these two massive sandstone cliffs.
- OVERNIGHT AT WILDERNESS area
Day 5: WILDERNESS AREA > return to CAPE TOWN
- MYOLI BEACH is an undiscovered beach paradise, perfect for swim or surf in the warmer Indian ocean.
- WILDERNESS CANOE – 18km of beaches cooled by sea spray, five lakes, five rivers and two estuaries, Wilderness is one of nature’s jewels in the crown and a protected National Park. Canoe on the Wilderness lagoon and watch the bird life while gliding over the water in a pure encounter with nature.
- LION WALK – (Optional with extra cost) Walk alongside Africa’s most majestic predator. Interact with young lions on foot. The walk take approximately one hour to complete – depending on how fast the lions are prepared to stroll. No leashes or collars, but supervised by expert handlers.
- Travel back to reach Cape Town area by late evening.
> Excluded: Meals & drinks, optional extras and excluded activities will be for your own account. *The exact itinerary is subject to change and may, on occasion run in reverse or different order.
- Pick-up from, and Drop-off at your accommodation in Cape Town areas.
- Cango Wildlife Ranch entrance fee
- Cango Caves adventure tour
- Ostrich farm tour and optional riding (under 75kg)
- Entrance to Addo National Park
- Entrance to Tsitsikamma National Park
- Entrance to Wilderness National Park
- 3 hour game drive in tour bus in Addo National Park
- Wilderness canoeing
- Friendly local driver-guide
- Transport to tour’s hotspots – with licensed and insured vehicle(s)
- Accommodation for 4 nights – as per package selected
- Meals and drinks
- Personal insurance
- Optional extra activities
OPTIONAL EXTRA ACTIVITIES available on tour:
- Elephant Walk & Ride Experience (@ +/- R 300)
- Bungy jumping (@ +/- R 750)
- Extra 2 hour 4×4 Game Drive in Addo (@ +/- R 240 to R330)
- Waterfall Ziplining (@ +/- R 350)
- Surf board hiring
- Lion walk (@ +/- R350 pp)
- Animal Encounters at Cango Wildlife Ranch